Friday 16 September 2011

The pleasant surprise.

You would think, that my age, I would know better than to go on first impressions of a situation.
Last week, on Thursday, I received a phone call from a DJ company in Melbourne asking if I could cover a Wedding on Saturday, as the DJ they had arranged had cancelled at the last minute. I was free and after some back and forth decided that I'd jump in and help out. Then the work sheet arrives and the music selection was peppered with artists and tracks that had all the warning bells going off. I mean really, Slipknot, System of a Down and Smashing Pumpkins? do you want to give your poor old Gran a heart attack during the reception?

We played some party stuff and some top 40 dance stuff, and I threw on a few classic Aussie Rock anthems, all the time dreading the question, "when are we going to hear X". So I eventually built it up to a point where I could slide one of their floor killers on, and..........it didn't! they rocked hard! like I said, you think I'd know better. I was pleasantly surprised. Now we didn't mosh the rest of the night, but they all had fun, and no, Gran didn't have that heart attack either. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment